Union Public Service Commission has published UPSC IAS Exam Syllabus 2020. Download IAS Prelims / Mains Exam Pattern at www.upsc.gov.in
UPSC IAS Exam Syllabus 2020
All the applicants who want to start preparation with the proper way they are advised to check the IAS Exam Syllabus from here because IAS Exam Syllabus is best to study material in order to crack Indian Administrative Service Exam. Those applicants who want to get Central Government Jobs and have applied for IAS Notification 2020 for them it is the best opportunity.
IAS Prelims/Mains Exam Pattern 2020
Union Public Service Commission has organized pre-exam successfully and now UPSC will conduct the Main exam on the scheduled date for all pre-exam qualified applicants. Dear job finders to crack this exam, you are required to be covered with all the topics which are available in IAS Prelims/Mains Exam Pattern. Applicants can download IAS Exam Syllabus through the official website of the Union Public Service Commission that is www.upsc.gov.in.
www.upsc.gov.in IAS Exam Syllabus
|Conducted Body||Union Public Service Commission|
|Posts Name||Officers in departments of government|
|Exam Name||Indian Administrative Service Exam|
|Total Vacancies||Various Posts|
|Recruitment Category||Central Government Jobs|
|Employment Location||All Over India|
- IAS Exam (Pre and Mains Exam).
IAS Preliminary Exam Pattern 2020
- UPSC will conduct the IAS Pre exam into 2 papers.
- The test will be of 400 marks.
- The question paper will be available in both English and Hindi Languages, so it may be understood by everyone.
|Sr. No.||Name of Paper||Marks Allotted|
|Paper 1||General Ability Test (GAT)||200 Marks|
|Paper 2||English Language and Aptitude||200 Marks|
IAS Main Exam Pattern 2020
- The UPSC will conduct the Civil Services Main exam of 1750 marks.
- After that, a personality test (interview) of 275 marks will be organized by the UPSC.
- The question paper will be available in both English and Hindi languages, so that every candidate may understand it.
- The exam includes 7 papers with 2 papers of descriptive in nature.
|S. No.||Name of the Paper||Marks|
|1||Paper A- One of the Indian Language to be selected by the candidates from the Language included in the 6th Schedule of the Constitution||300 Marks|
|2||Paper B- English||300 Marks|
|Papers to be counted for merit|
|3||Paper 1 – Essay||250 marks|
|4||Paper 2 – General Studies I||250 marks|
|5||Paper 3 – General Studies II||250 marks|
|6||Paper 4 – General Studies III||250 marks|
|7||Paper 5 – General Studies IV||250 marks|
|8||Paper 6 – Optional Subject 1||250 marks|
|9||Paper 7 – Optional Subject 2||250 marks|
- Preliminary and Main Examination qualified candidates will be called for IAS Interview.
- Applicants may give preference of the language in which they may like to be interviewed.
- Marks set for the Interview is 275.
IAS Prelims Syllabus
- UPSC IAS Syllabus for Preliminary stage consists of 2 papers and there is negative marking for each wrong answer that is 1/3rd of marks allotted for every question.
- Paper-I: General Ability Test
- Paper-II: Civil Services Aptitude Test
|General Ability Test||1. Current events of national|
and international importance2. History of India and Indian
National Movement3. Indian and World Geography –
Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.4. Indian Polity and Governance –
Constitution, Political System,
Panchayati Raj, Public Policy,
Rights Issues, etc
5. Economic and Social Development –
6. General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate change – that do not require subject specialization General Science.
ISA Civil Services Aptitude Test Syllabus 2020
|Paper – I||Topic|
|Civil Services Aptitude Test||1. Comprehension|
2. Interpersonal skills including communication skills
3. Logical reasoning and analytical ability
4. Decision-making and
5. General mental ability
6. Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.)
7. English Language Comprehension skills
IAS Mains Syllabus
- Applicants rank in UPSC Civil Service Exam depends only on the mark scored in Main and Interview. The main examination consists total 7 + 2 = 9 papers and all of them are descriptive types.
- IAS Exam Syllabus for Paper I: (Any Indian Language)
- Job finders have to choose one language from the Languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution.
IAS Syllabus for Paper II – English
|English||1. The pattern of questions would be generally as follows:-|
2. Comprehension of given passages
3. Precis Writing
4. Usage and Vocabulary
IAS Syllabus for Paper III – Essay
|Essay||Participated may be required to write essays on multiple topics.|
IAS Syllabus for Paper IV – General Studies 1
|General Studies 1||1. (Indian Heritage/ Culture, World History & Geography)|
2. Indian culture will cover the main feature of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from to present times
3. Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
4. The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country
5. Post-independence consolidation and restructuring within the country
IAS Syllabus for Paper V– General Studies 2
|General Studies 2||1. Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International Relations|
2. Functions and duties of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein
3. Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
4. Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora
5. Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
6. Development processes and the development industry- the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders
7. Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these
8. Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
IAS Syllabus for Paper VI – General Studies 3
|General Studies 3||1. (Technology, Economic Development, Bio-diversity, Environment, Security & Disaster Management)|
2. Inclusive growth and issues arising from it
3. Government Budgeting
4. Development, Environment, Security and Disaster Management
5. Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism
6. Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management
7. Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate
8. Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development, and employment
9. Conservation, environmental pollution, and degradation, environmental impact assessment
10. Disaster and disaster management
IAS Syllabus for Paper VII – General Studies 4
|General Studies 4||1. (Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude)|
2. Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships
3. Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion
4. Emotional, and their utilities and application in administration and governance
5. Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and
6. Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, and administrators; of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
List of Optional Subjects for Main Exam
|List of Optional Subjects for Main Exam||1. Mathematics|
3. Mechanical Engineering
4. Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
5. Medical Science
11. Political Science and International Relations
12. Civil Engineering
14. Commerce and Accountancy
15. Public Administration
18. Electrical Engineering
|Literature of any one of the following languages: Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Nepali, Odia, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santhali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu and English.|